Skip to main content

My love affair with Europe (#1)

Warning: This post puts the T in Tacky, the M in Mushy, the G in Gooey, yada yada..

I Hate Goodbyes. Period. And the only thing that makes them bearable are the smiles. After all, you want to leave the person in front of you with a last smiling memory. I guess its hard for all of us at some level.

Exchange was a big part of my MBA plans. I had this rosy picture in my mind, of how I would be an amazing experience to meet people from all across the world, to travel all across Europe, to see some of the history that made studying 'History' interesting. Did it live up to it, you ask? Much, much more.

The bliss on making it through the selection for exchange program was something else. I remember that instant when I got the call quite clearly. I couldn't stop smiling the whole day, and to cap that more good news followed (more..), I was blessed. That ting in your voice, when you see a kid getting excited over candy, that sparkle in your eye, same as when a kid gets excited over a toy, that dreaminess over the possibilities that lie ahead, that pure unadulterated excitement, it was all there. I was living the dream that day. You might ask that what is the big deal. It really is not. But that is how I live these days. Little things, small happiness, BLISS !!

So I could not not wonder about the possibilities. I even had a 'bucket' list, if you can call it that, about things to do in Europe:

  •  Sky Diving
  • Arsenal (Live)
  • Disneyland
  • Cult Rock Concert
  • Greece
  • Northern Lights (far-fetched, I know)
I am 0/6 on that, but do I regret it one bit, not over my dead body, did the trip still do justice to itself, most definitely. And you know what, it just gives me another excuse to come back and check them off the list another day. Why do I still think it was so much more than what I had expected? For a million different reasons (small happiness, as I said), one that I will take care of in part 2 of this blog sometime soon, but perhaps I owe it most to the people who became a part of my life, forged in my memory are the moments shared with you all and at the risk of sounding like an emotional fool from here on to end, I'll talk about the people.

My first impression of people around was.. "And the people. I just wonder when would Indians start to live the care free life.....(more)". I have no clue how good a judge of character I am, but it seems I do fine. Before I add anything though, I must say, no particular group of people randomly picked can be that awesome, it was pure luck, chance, and fate, of us all to be there together. We made the most of it though, whatever time we had on our hands, high 5 to that. And I bet I can count on most of you if need be, which is truly great.

Be it that random beer at odd hours of the day (Germans), be it the game 'Spot the Indians!!' in class ( what did you expect), be it my room becoming the room where everyone hangs out (D), be it the dances and people joining in and trying to mimic, be it the group discussions (a few of those) and lastly, be it the countless parties, you all were the constant, the constant that kept me going.

I could go on, but the reason that I am writing all this is the farewell party. Thank you all for being there and make the last night even more memorable.

P.S.
@Guilherme Dance Lesson #1 Just enjoy dancing, the rest would come automatically ;) See you in India or in Brazil in couple of years :)
@Megha Be in touch even without fb when you come back to India also :)
@Hanna I think I would love to see you come to India, and my love for Finnish people is no secret really
@Manuel Right back at ya..
@Bernardo Great semester, great partying !!
@Nikita Ditto, it was super fun having you around too
@Lennert I don't know about others, we are quite unique ;) Naah, you'd find living in India quite good. And yeah, 4th floor does rule ;)
@Jaako Great times, waiting for you in India now :)
@Jens Same here :)
@Nicola Sometime down the line, most definitely :)
@Diletta If I was there right now I would have hugged you tight. It had to happen though..
@Carol What bad things? ;) Gonna miss you too.
@Francesca It is just the beginning :) :)

@All Great times. Thanks for every second of it.

Until we meet again,
Harshit

Comments

  1. Wow, you gave me the shivers in each word of this blog....
    One word more would be too much now! Hug you my dear Friend!
    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that last statement of yours

      " Your smile would be my and your strength "

      Amazing sentiments :)

      xoxo
      Harshit

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

200* The Titan of the world cricket just got a little taller

"The Titan of World Cricket just got a little taller " Need I say more . The only thing that I would regret after this day is that I cannot brag "I was there when.." The only people I'll envy after today are those in the Gwalior stadium. There is not much that I can say about the Little Master that hasn't been spoken off. There is not much to be read about Sachin that my generation has not already read. Comments like "I have seen God, he bats at no. 4 for India" from the people who have played against him, have been plastered all over the memory of this generation. All this and still that humbleness to die for. He truly is an IDOL. You'd think with hopes of a billion people on his shoulder, he will start to stoop a little, well congratulations, you have just been branded the biggest fool to have walked on earth. All said, it cost me a measly 49 Riyals to get Live TV on my cellphone, and a little more effort to postpone some of the work

The first 31st on an 'alien' land

Dear Blog, One thing you don't want on a 31st is for your day to start with work. And o'course I ain't that lucky. But at-least I got a 'half day' (will someone inform the management that if you reduce 2 working hours from 10, it does not become 'half day'). O'course the thumb rule in such cases says " you take what you get, and be happy  or else you will end up either very miserable or getting fired", neither of which interests me much. The Idea There is a thin line between "A Plan" and "An Idea". I had neither. I only knew this for a fact that no way I will spend this night in my camp. In came Mr. Tejaswi, with some ' amoeba like shit' in his head, to my aid. I will still refrain from calling it a plan, since you cannot be sure of things here in Qatar on days of holiday (family day and stuff like that), although no once can stop you if you are really stubborn and a little innovative. As for The Idea, it had a

International Helsinki Days 2012

'Minus 26 and still HOT' Oh Yes. It was hot. Never mind the apparent chill. And that was all about the IHD. Naah... I have been edgy to write about this ever since it got over, not that i'm going to forget anything anytime soon, but rather to make it more memorable. The issue with all of it is though that words simply aren't enough, you have to live it to know it. I had taken a liking to Finnish people from the start , and more so after the week. It was special this week. I got a glimpse into the culture that is Finn. Perhaps limited to the student culture, but nevertheless, enough to make up my mind that they all would go places. Work to Live, they value there free time immensely, and that's how it is supposed to be. I heard somethings about Finns not being happy etc, not from what   I saw, and if they believe in the philosophy, I doubt anyone could be unhappy for long. And if anyone had doubts about their work ethic, they just have to look at the IHD tea