Skip to main content

Euro Trotting - The Beginning

Stepping into the 'developed world' for the first time definitely felt strange. I just bring that distinction out simply because it is omnipresent, or atleast made that way by plenty'a people.

There is this thing that I really like to do. Always taking a detour on my way to the final destination. What ensued was a layover in Helsinki, Finland. And the view out from the plane window of the Finland landscape covered with snow and what looked like scattered pine trees, was beyond words. Glad that the city had the season's first snowfall just the day before, everything around was much brighter. The thing that struck me the most about Finnish is that they are as 'direct' people as you'd ever find, and they'd call a spade a spade with the straightest possible face. You try and bullshit them, and you'd definitely be sorry. And all this, was not just a passing observation, it's been ratified  by the few that I know out here in Grenoble.

Getting back. The detour had a few more bumps with it. Paris and Lyon. But they were limited only to the travelling routes, beautiful though they were. Reaching my European Karmabhumi Grenoble, to put it into perspective.

Mouth watering view from La Bastille, Grenoble
A breathtaking small town at the foothills of the alps, often referred to as the 'Capital of ALPS', is a curious town to live in. With 'Skiing' and 'Snowboarding' probably being the two most spoken words around, with people's lives revolving around the weather just to track the best time to hit the Alps (especially in January), with the ever so lovely 'Chartreuse', and with the never ending parties, this town just amazes me. And I secretly hoped for one such town, simply because I feel larger cities are just same all around, be it New Delhi, Doha, or Paris, same, at least in the sense of lifestyle. They just seem to lose that teeny bit of personality (which makes the most difference) that the region should actually have had. 

Quick word about Grenoble Ecole de Management, it just seems too random, mostly because it just has too many programs on offer. The number of people attending this college is just crazy, but perhaps that is the best part especially being on exchange, you just have that many more people to interact with. I'd give ALOHA a special mention out here, for being the coolest student body I have ever come across. The pains that they go through to help the incoming students, and the events that they organize, TWO THUMBS UP!

And the people. I just wonder when would Indians start to live the care free life. It's high time that we move beyond all the futuristic planning and start living the present. I have often heard statements saying that Indians are the most hard-working people and all, although true to some extent, that's no excuse to stop living. And what's with all that pressure since birth. I'm glad that I was raised different (Can't thank you enough Mom Dad), but come on, that's just plain idiotic when you don't allow your kids to find their own way, even no-brain animals do it. And for Heaven's sake, let the girls be free. One for the Republic Day pledges?


It's like an addiction this multi-cultural environment. You just can't get enough of it. Life is so much more fun and unpredictable this way. I tasted it in Qatar for the first time, and I am relishing it out here.

I have used the words 'beautiful', 'breathtaking' and 'beyond words' often, perhaps most in any single piece of writing, YET.I just couldn't help myself. Somehow the world seems to be shot in 'technicolor' out here, with every element just more vivid, sometimes just too overwhelming for the eyes that are used to a, if i may term it in possibly the harshest way, rustiness of the Indian film.

And perhaps the story would get interesting enough for 'Eurotrip 2' ;)

Lastly, every city has its own story, I just hope to make that a part of my story too, and to that end i'll start the city hopping in less than a week's time (can't wait to do away with that itch ;D)

P.S. This is what happens when you wait too long to blog, and hence end up with too much or too generic (by the human way of forgetting) to write. That reminds me, the smallest of journeys, from Lyon to Grenoble, surrounded by Alps, with a few hilly passes, with Coldplay on, on my second day in Europe, the 4th of January 2012, possibly the serenest I have felt in my life. The explanation, nothing rational, but I was just in that mood for whatever reason.

Adieu jusqu'à la prochaine fois !

Comments

  1. vry well written...actually dee developed world...too different....actually wen will indians change.....d ans is may be nevaaa...huh...parties,skiing,snowboarding wowlyk...full of adventures...u r a lucky guy....nd u hav actually tasted evry piece of ur life....i dun kno wen will my taste buds get lucky...nd yaa let d girls be free toooo 4 jesus's sake.....i wish i cud replace mahself wd u...lolzzzz:P....i cud sense d whole picturesque as u hav written it mind blowingly....kudos.... keep writing.....:))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. @shikha "i wish i cud replace mahself wd u"
    flattered, i am :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

200* The Titan of the world cricket just got a little taller

"The Titan of World Cricket just got a little taller " Need I say more . The only thing that I would regret after this day is that I cannot brag "I was there when.." The only people I'll envy after today are those in the Gwalior stadium. There is not much that I can say about the Little Master that hasn't been spoken off. There is not much to be read about Sachin that my generation has not already read. Comments like "I have seen God, he bats at no. 4 for India" from the people who have played against him, have been plastered all over the memory of this generation. All this and still that humbleness to die for. He truly is an IDOL. You'd think with hopes of a billion people on his shoulder, he will start to stoop a little, well congratulations, you have just been branded the biggest fool to have walked on earth. All said, it cost me a measly 49 Riyals to get Live TV on my cellphone, and a little more effort to postpone some of the work

The first 31st on an 'alien' land

Dear Blog, One thing you don't want on a 31st is for your day to start with work. And o'course I ain't that lucky. But at-least I got a 'half day' (will someone inform the management that if you reduce 2 working hours from 10, it does not become 'half day'). O'course the thumb rule in such cases says " you take what you get, and be happy  or else you will end up either very miserable or getting fired", neither of which interests me much. The Idea There is a thin line between "A Plan" and "An Idea". I had neither. I only knew this for a fact that no way I will spend this night in my camp. In came Mr. Tejaswi, with some ' amoeba like shit' in his head, to my aid. I will still refrain from calling it a plan, since you cannot be sure of things here in Qatar on days of holiday (family day and stuff like that), although no once can stop you if you are really stubborn and a little innovative. As for The Idea, it had a

International Helsinki Days 2012

'Minus 26 and still HOT' Oh Yes. It was hot. Never mind the apparent chill. And that was all about the IHD. Naah... I have been edgy to write about this ever since it got over, not that i'm going to forget anything anytime soon, but rather to make it more memorable. The issue with all of it is though that words simply aren't enough, you have to live it to know it. I had taken a liking to Finnish people from the start , and more so after the week. It was special this week. I got a glimpse into the culture that is Finn. Perhaps limited to the student culture, but nevertheless, enough to make up my mind that they all would go places. Work to Live, they value there free time immensely, and that's how it is supposed to be. I heard somethings about Finns not being happy etc, not from what   I saw, and if they believe in the philosophy, I doubt anyone could be unhappy for long. And if anyone had doubts about their work ethic, they just have to look at the IHD tea