Skip to main content

5 Samurai

This is perhaps one of the strange ways in which one can blog. Chennai airport is disappointing to say the least, and here I am sitting in a dirty corner (to catch a plug point), fighting mosquitoes and sleep, to get to you an event that has been THE EVENT in these first few months of my MBA.

Following events are depicted possibly with a bias and any resemblance to an existing actual event is totally intentional..

It all started with this stumbling upon DoMS, IIT Ms release for Samanvay, annual fest, on dare2compete.com, and what transpired since then has been hectic fun, as extreme on both the scales(hectic, fun) as far as you can imagine. Just to add perspective to what I want you to understand, the synopsis of the event excited me so much so that I started preparing strategies on whom to rope in to have the best possible chance. And the end result, though could have been better, does leave a sense of pleasure, a sense of satisfaction, and a reaffirmation of my belief in hard work.

Oh yes. It was plenty hard work. However, from what I hear of the events that unfolded during the first round (online quiz on Online Retail, which I somehow managed to miss), it will be foolish of me to claim something like that. When you make legendary blind guesses after seeing like a bald dude's photo and connecting it to Amazon CEO, I mean, who the fuck does have that kind of 'epiphany'.

But then again, the real work started off in the 2nd round, and after missing out on all that fun how could I let this go. And I am pretty sure that my fellow CXOs would agree to this that it ain't good having an obsessed crazy prick kicking them from behind to get the work done. You ought to resort to such extreme measures though. What really helps is the amount I enjoy it doing sometimes, I confess. Also, at the risk of being called an egotist, I'd like to pat my back on the amount of work that I'd gotten done on those timelines. What dedication cannot achieve in this world.
(MBAs) --> As CXOs we had to start and build upon a startup art supplies company making strategies across all functions. O'course I ended up with the most 'ghissu' of works, the work that involved the most leg work, the COOs job, but that had to be taken up and worked upon as some other functions depended upon it. I still am pleasantly surprised at the adrenaline rush that I get in such time crunch situations. Awesumness :)

The real experience still awaited us in the shadows though. Today finally arrived. The organizers did pack a punch in the final round. A board room environment was set up. Situations were given encompassing all functions and instant decisions were to be made  However the biggest surprise was when we heard about judges being industry moguls. And then when IIM B (who eventually won) went on with their presentation first, it was like we had bitten more than what we could chew. Being newbie's and all, we were so much off colour in terms of presentation (compiled in like half an hour while sitting at the airport) that we even contemplated backing out at one point. We had good workings, that is what got us the short list, but that counts to zilch in front of the judges if you aren't able to bring it out through the presentation and then back it up with deep domain expertise. And with all the competition being from second year, we really needed to cover in the presentation what we lost in terms of knowledge. Kudos to the team for pulling off the presentation well, just on the weight of the knowledge of the workings and getting the points across to the judges, compelling them to adjudge the best CMO and CIO from IIFT Kolkata.

Take Aways -->
Belief, dignity and pride, it was tough, those last few hours of the competition.
Amazing learnings from such an exhaustive and comprehensive competition, exposing us to various business dimensions at once, getting work done under immense time constraints (mostly due to parallel activities).
The competition in general, and deep realization of work that needs to be put in for such competitions.

And most of all, the encouragement that our competitors gave us in the end, commending our work to be of the highest order given that we just started off with our MBA, instructing us to keep at it, hell yeah !!

Signing Off.

Harshit Didwania
COO and self proclaimed Team Leader ;)
Team Kamikaze - IIFT K

Comments

  1. simply fab...its always nt abt winning its abt participatin...u hav dat winner attitude yeahh..nd wen u get 2 learn so many things u naturally cum out as a winner...nd most of all u got selected in d top 5...dats a big deal ohkk..i know hw much effort u had put up here...i hav seen dat willingness in u,dat spirit of get goin nd face d challenge,dat spark in ur eyez 4 winning d competition...dats wt is required...juz luvd dat take away part...ur fyts wd d deadlines,time nd nt forgetting mosquitoe fyts leavin d mark at chennai airport..lolzz..perfct time management..all entrepreneur skills.....nd as i say appreciation is betr dan expectation...so u guys got enuf of dat m sure...appreciations nd encouragements frm evrybody arnd...nd fr me u r a true winner....keep up d same spirit nd strive evn harder 2 reach dat perfction nd u'll defintely b dere...keep goin high high nd high....juzz too proud of u:)))....

    ReplyDelete
  2. danke, shikha :) you always end up lifting my spirits to new heights by saying such wonderful things..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi you are doing a great job. I was looking for this information. I found it on your page its really amazing.I am sure that these are your own views. I hear exactly what you’re saying and I’m so happy that I came across your blog. You really know what you’re talking about, and you made me feel like I should learn more about this. Thanks for sharing useful information; I’m officially a huge fan of your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

200* The Titan of the world cricket just got a little taller

"The Titan of World Cricket just got a little taller " Need I say more . The only thing that I would regret after this day is that I cannot brag "I was there when.." The only people I'll envy after today are those in the Gwalior stadium. There is not much that I can say about the Little Master that hasn't been spoken off. There is not much to be read about Sachin that my generation has not already read. Comments like "I have seen God, he bats at no. 4 for India" from the people who have played against him, have been plastered all over the memory of this generation. All this and still that humbleness to die for. He truly is an IDOL. You'd think with hopes of a billion people on his shoulder, he will start to stoop a little, well congratulations, you have just been branded the biggest fool to have walked on earth. All said, it cost me a measly 49 Riyals to get Live TV on my cellphone, and a little more effort to postpone some of the work

The first 31st on an 'alien' land

Dear Blog, One thing you don't want on a 31st is for your day to start with work. And o'course I ain't that lucky. But at-least I got a 'half day' (will someone inform the management that if you reduce 2 working hours from 10, it does not become 'half day'). O'course the thumb rule in such cases says " you take what you get, and be happy  or else you will end up either very miserable or getting fired", neither of which interests me much. The Idea There is a thin line between "A Plan" and "An Idea". I had neither. I only knew this for a fact that no way I will spend this night in my camp. In came Mr. Tejaswi, with some ' amoeba like shit' in his head, to my aid. I will still refrain from calling it a plan, since you cannot be sure of things here in Qatar on days of holiday (family day and stuff like that), although no once can stop you if you are really stubborn and a little innovative. As for The Idea, it had a

International Helsinki Days 2012

'Minus 26 and still HOT' Oh Yes. It was hot. Never mind the apparent chill. And that was all about the IHD. Naah... I have been edgy to write about this ever since it got over, not that i'm going to forget anything anytime soon, but rather to make it more memorable. The issue with all of it is though that words simply aren't enough, you have to live it to know it. I had taken a liking to Finnish people from the start , and more so after the week. It was special this week. I got a glimpse into the culture that is Finn. Perhaps limited to the student culture, but nevertheless, enough to make up my mind that they all would go places. Work to Live, they value there free time immensely, and that's how it is supposed to be. I heard somethings about Finns not being happy etc, not from what   I saw, and if they believe in the philosophy, I doubt anyone could be unhappy for long. And if anyone had doubts about their work ethic, they just have to look at the IHD tea