Skip to main content

Life and Lies of a Broker !!

Ok. This title is not inspired from Harry Potter, or perhaps it is, cuz it was suggested by a friend who is an ardent fan. We were supposed to co-author this, but for now, I'll have to do. Here goes.


There is one person who might take this one a little personally, but do we really care. Its something that happened to me and some of my friends at the beginning of last year (ya, you really need to dial the clock THAT back, cuz blogging is somthin' that i started recently), when we were in need of a place to rest our asses in Bangalore at the end of all the 'ITing' every day.


We landed in Bangalore, in batches. We were 7 in all, and hunting a place for 7 bachelor's is like finding a needle (that may or may not exist) in a haystack. Things like boozing, smoking, girls, loud music and all the other little tid bits that disrupt the peacuful enviornment around, automatically get associated with a group like ours. Not to suggest that people are wrong in this, but they did falter by not including the GEEK quotient into the equation. Besides all those external pieces, everyone had their reservations about travelling long to their respective offices. Some right, some misplaced [arghh, idiots]. If it ain't for those misplaced pieces, we would have lived not 7 but 12. Anyways, not the point.


All this posed some serious threats to our plans of docking ouselves together at one place. But you know the human race. Hope against Hope (exaggeration, perhaps. Deal with it ;)) . So, we set out, one fine holiday, divided to look at multiple options, trusting each other, to get the job done. As it turned out, no one was ready to lease us a 'shelter', most of 'em retorting to the same old "7 bachelors and peace" story. The only option now seemed was to take 2 flats. When all seemed lost, Mr. Mukti (henceforth being reffered as Mr. Arse) stepped in.


So, this Mr. Arse, is a broker, has his office in one of the most posh areas of Bangalore, with slick interiors and a good first impression. The apartment, that was offered, was apparantly also nearby. When someone told me one month's rent for the place, i thought it to be a joke. I would never have agreed to the insane amount for a semi-furnished place if i thought we had a choice. The brokerage was o'course killing us, but since everyone stood there in front of Mr. Arse with their puppy dog face, there was absolutely no chance in hell of any liniency on his part. So, we scoffed a huge amount as brokerage, discussed lots of petty things about the accommodation and signed the contract (1 year). The mistake that we made was failing to recognize the fact that Verbal Communication amounts to zilch in the real world.


What is not in the contract is out of a nearby Bangalore drain.

Things like club membership being included in the rent, a "big big naala" that was supposed to be closed off within 2 months, water supply bill which was also supposed to have been already taken care of, might seem petty things now, but they were huge back then. He had forgotten all the promises that he made us but when it came to the rent or the security deposit advance, post dated checks was the way to go. Trust is like that Achilles' spot, and when you get lied, straight faced, that often, it is bound to die, specially when the safety deposit is, in total, more than twice of what I was earning during my complete internship of 6 months. Naturally we started making arrangements a good 2 months before. We had signed a years contract, on Mr. Arse's assurance that we can leave in 6 months and will be refunded the whole deposit amount. Our fatal flaw, once again came to haunt us. By this time however, since Mr. Arse has stopped returning our calls, we decided to talk directly with the owner. To our surprise (put as much sarcasm as possible in those 3 words), the client went to the extent to say "Who the hell is Mr. Arse", when we tried to tell him about our agreement.  Hope this does make the picture clear.

Anyways, we somehow convinced the owner to just take 1 months rent from our deposit and return the rest. But the story didn't end here. When we went to en-cash the cheque, to our horror, they said the signs didn't match. I mean I know we made a bad deal, but so much wrong with one thing, I mean I had to pray. Thankfully, we didn't depend upon Mr. Arse for sorting things out, and the owner was a genuine guy, we received the money though online transfer in time.

I know it is no rocket science, renting an apartment, and dealing with a broker, but what can I say, we made a fool of ourselves.

P.S. This was supposed to come out as my first blog, but I never sat down and finished it. Finally :)

Posted via email from Strange Ramblings !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

200* The Titan of the world cricket just got a little taller

"The Titan of World Cricket just got a little taller " Need I say more . The only thing that I would regret after this day is that I cannot brag "I was there when.." The only people I'll envy after today are those in the Gwalior stadium. There is not much that I can say about the Little Master that hasn't been spoken off. There is not much to be read about Sachin that my generation has not already read. Comments like "I have seen God, he bats at no. 4 for India" from the people who have played against him, have been plastered all over the memory of this generation. All this and still that humbleness to die for. He truly is an IDOL. You'd think with hopes of a billion people on his shoulder, he will start to stoop a little, well congratulations, you have just been branded the biggest fool to have walked on earth. All said, it cost me a measly 49 Riyals to get Live TV on my cellphone, and a little more effort to postpone some of the work

The first 31st on an 'alien' land

Dear Blog, One thing you don't want on a 31st is for your day to start with work. And o'course I ain't that lucky. But at-least I got a 'half day' (will someone inform the management that if you reduce 2 working hours from 10, it does not become 'half day'). O'course the thumb rule in such cases says " you take what you get, and be happy  or else you will end up either very miserable or getting fired", neither of which interests me much. The Idea There is a thin line between "A Plan" and "An Idea". I had neither. I only knew this for a fact that no way I will spend this night in my camp. In came Mr. Tejaswi, with some ' amoeba like shit' in his head, to my aid. I will still refrain from calling it a plan, since you cannot be sure of things here in Qatar on days of holiday (family day and stuff like that), although no once can stop you if you are really stubborn and a little innovative. As for The Idea, it had a

International Helsinki Days 2012

'Minus 26 and still HOT' Oh Yes. It was hot. Never mind the apparent chill. And that was all about the IHD. Naah... I have been edgy to write about this ever since it got over, not that i'm going to forget anything anytime soon, but rather to make it more memorable. The issue with all of it is though that words simply aren't enough, you have to live it to know it. I had taken a liking to Finnish people from the start , and more so after the week. It was special this week. I got a glimpse into the culture that is Finn. Perhaps limited to the student culture, but nevertheless, enough to make up my mind that they all would go places. Work to Live, they value there free time immensely, and that's how it is supposed to be. I heard somethings about Finns not being happy etc, not from what   I saw, and if they believe in the philosophy, I doubt anyone could be unhappy for long. And if anyone had doubts about their work ethic, they just have to look at the IHD tea