Skip to main content

Singapore Diaries

Just reminiscing the amount of travelling I have been doing since 2009, makes me swoon. I am a vaguely introspective person and like placing my fingers exactly on the future. It is not to make it more predictable, rather it is to ground me by just making me realize how wrong I was, am and will be, and how much there is still to take in. Knowledge, might have become flat, with all the technology around, but our capacity to absorb it remains the same, and hence there is always plenty in this cosmic world. In 2009, if anyone would have come up to me and said that you are going to travel 18 countries in the next 2.5 years, I would have asked that person to take a hike. Nevertheless, somewhere I must have had an inkling, which prompted me to renew my passport, a good 1.5 years before it was set to expire, just in case. Truly cosmic. And the same power played its role aplenty in this short, outrageously fast trip. My expectations were pretty much balanced, didn’t expect much, especially after Europe. I was in for a surprise, one that I liked.

As Friedman said, The World Is Flat. Everything became more predictable, as and when I saw pieces of Singapore flying by in front of me. I truly thought, within Asia, all countries would look more or less similar. But the development that Singapore has gone through in the past decades does two things for me: ‘Has India been sleeping?’ and ‘I was wrong again’. The latter just opened up Singapore for me. And the predictable part that I spoke about earlier, follows everything from the European experience.

Development comes at a cost. Someone said it, and rightly so. Typical perceptions about Singaporean culture and its closeness to how Indian it is, all came to a shattering death. Talk about how westernized you can get, 100%. Not that I am complaining, but sometimes, some things that you observe, lead you to believe, it is not all that rosy. Pick the first MRT train journey that I took, and it reminded me so much of the Terminator world, in the sense that people are completely devoid of emotions, mechanized, moving like machines, busy on their gadgets, and listening to music. I am pretty sure if I had pointed and shouted, “There’s a Bengal tiger in the train”, I would have been the only person running for the emergency button (The reason would not be Bengal Tiger’s being extinct :D, they read a lot, and are knowledgeable enough). And to put things into perspective, even in a vacuum, more noise could be heard. Wherever all this stems from though, one thing is for sure, credit should be given to Singapore for pushing through far away from the Black Hole that is Asia. And what is the most beautiful irony about this cultural shift? The Singaporean Dollar still having Tamilian scribbling on it saying what not.

Then comes the time to party. Transformation, completely in sync with your average European, and they would put all the chatty Cathy’s to shame. The only thing is, it gets real shrill out there with their peaky dialect, one that I was almost able to filter out successfully from my senses. And it is like the tonic you don’t want when you are sleepless in Singapore. You still party though, and hard, and you can have anything and everything that you want. Westernized. Beautiful, beautiful cultures, void of the stupid stigmas that come along with something like Indian Culture, and that has been imbibed into their psyche so much so that you probably would not need to take the first step. And they are super sexy people, with all their shiny hair, shiny skin, shiny clothes, and mini’s :)

Exploring. The truest way to this in any new place is on foot. And the fact that my feet still hurt tells me I took that too seriously. Worth it though. Walking almost half the breadth of Singapore, upon landing, just to reach Marina Bay Sands, and start on a high. And go higher further with tastes from wildlife, fauna to kayaking, partying. There is no end to what Singapore can offer to you in particular. That’s the best part about adopting four different cultures since its inception and then westernizing. There was never a dull moment.

Amidst all this was the event (Trade Conclave 2012 – Resource Scarcity in Rapidly Changing World, organized by IIFT & SMU, in collaboration) for which the Singapore opportunity actually materialized. I wouldn't get into the details here, press would do that aplenty, but what shone out was the start, the keynote speech made it more than worth for whatever time I had managed to scoop, each and every damn second.

Recommendations: Santosa Island, Universal Studios (I missed, again), Botanical Garden, Gardens by the Bay, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore Eye, F1 Circuit, Chinatown

Singapore, from my lens. On top of Marina Bay Sands.

Comments

  1. 18 countries in the next 2.5 years! :O
    Take a hike :P
    Those are quite some observations for a 2 day trip!
    Though would have loved to hear more on Exploring part :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemme know the place and time, where I should take that hike ;)
      You would know me this much by now, I am a keen observer.

      And I know, when I decided to write this, I was like I should just talk about the travelling part, all the places that I saw. Pata nahi philosophy kahan se nikli, but flow bann gaya tha, so...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

200* The Titan of the world cricket just got a little taller

"The Titan of World Cricket just got a little taller " Need I say more . The only thing that I would regret after this day is that I cannot brag "I was there when.." The only people I'll envy after today are those in the Gwalior stadium. There is not much that I can say about the Little Master that hasn't been spoken off. There is not much to be read about Sachin that my generation has not already read. Comments like "I have seen God, he bats at no. 4 for India" from the people who have played against him, have been plastered all over the memory of this generation. All this and still that humbleness to die for. He truly is an IDOL. You'd think with hopes of a billion people on his shoulder, he will start to stoop a little, well congratulations, you have just been branded the biggest fool to have walked on earth. All said, it cost me a measly 49 Riyals to get Live TV on my cellphone, and a little more effort to postpone some of the work

International Helsinki Days 2012

'Minus 26 and still HOT' Oh Yes. It was hot. Never mind the apparent chill. And that was all about the IHD. Naah... I have been edgy to write about this ever since it got over, not that i'm going to forget anything anytime soon, but rather to make it more memorable. The issue with all of it is though that words simply aren't enough, you have to live it to know it. I had taken a liking to Finnish people from the start , and more so after the week. It was special this week. I got a glimpse into the culture that is Finn. Perhaps limited to the student culture, but nevertheless, enough to make up my mind that they all would go places. Work to Live, they value there free time immensely, and that's how it is supposed to be. I heard somethings about Finns not being happy etc, not from what   I saw, and if they believe in the philosophy, I doubt anyone could be unhappy for long. And if anyone had doubts about their work ethic, they just have to look at the IHD tea

The first 31st on an 'alien' land

Dear Blog, One thing you don't want on a 31st is for your day to start with work. And o'course I ain't that lucky. But at-least I got a 'half day' (will someone inform the management that if you reduce 2 working hours from 10, it does not become 'half day'). O'course the thumb rule in such cases says " you take what you get, and be happy  or else you will end up either very miserable or getting fired", neither of which interests me much. The Idea There is a thin line between "A Plan" and "An Idea". I had neither. I only knew this for a fact that no way I will spend this night in my camp. In came Mr. Tejaswi, with some ' amoeba like shit' in his head, to my aid. I will still refrain from calling it a plan, since you cannot be sure of things here in Qatar on days of holiday (family day and stuff like that), although no once can stop you if you are really stubborn and a little innovative. As for The Idea, it had a